Sepsis is caused by an over-reactive immune response to blood-borne infection and leads to widespread inflammation. Without timely and effective treatment, sepsis can cause tissue damage, organ failure, and death.
Procalcitonin (PCT) is a biomarker that offers advantages over other testing methods:
- Higher specificity for bacterial infections 1-4
- Rises within 3-6 hours after infectious challenge 5
- Rapidly and reliably declines as septic infection resolves 4,5,6,7
PCT supports repsonsible antibiotic use
- The ability of PCT to differentiate bacterial from viral infection allows for more appropriate administration of antibiotics
- Monitoring PCT improves patient management and treatment
Enhance Lower Respiratory Tract Infection (LRTI) management
- Distinguishing between bacterial and viral infections is challenging- especially in LRTI.
- Limitations exist with current testing procedures
Interested in learning more?
Join our evaluation program!
- Muller B, Becker KL, Schachinger H, et al. Calcitonin precursors are reliable markers of sepsis in a medical intensive care unit. Crit Care Med. 2000;28(4):977-983.
- Clec’h C, Ferriere F, Karoubi P, et al. Diagnostic and prognostic value of procalcitonin in patients with septic shock. Crit Care Med. 2004;32(5):1166-1169.
- Meisner M. Update on procalcitonin measurements. Ann Lab Med. 2014;34(4):263-273.
- Harbarth S, Holeckova K, Pittet D, Ricou B, Grau GE, Vadas L. and Interleukin-8 in Critically Ill Patients Admitted. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:396-402.
- Brunkhorst FM, Heinz U, Forycki ZF. Kinetics of procalcitonin in iatrogenic sepsis. Intensive Care Med. 1998;24(8):888-889.
- Ball J, Venn R. The 21st International Symposium on Intensive Care and Emergency Medicine, Brussels, Belgium, 20-23 March 2001. Crit Care. 2001;5(3):138-141.
- Soni NJ, Samson DJ, Galaydick JL, et al. Procalcitonin-guided antibiotic therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hosp Med. 2013;8(9):530-540.
Reagent developed in collaboration with B•R•A•H•M•S GmbH.
B•R•A•H•M•S PCT is a registered trademark of B•R•A•H•M•S GmbH.